*NEW* ABORTIONS DECLINE TO HISTORIC LOWS - READ PDF ARTICLE
The following is a list of useful abortion statistics as well as some facts on abortifacients. All abortion numbers are derived from pro-abortion sources courtesy of The Alan Guttmacher Institute and Planned Parenthood's Family Planning Perspectives.
WORLDWIDE> ( Worldwide figures from: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_IAW.html)
- Number of abortions per year: Approximately 43.8 Million (2008)
- Number of abortions per day: Approximately 120,000
Where abortions occur:
- 86% of all abortions are obtained in developing countries and 14% occur in developed countries.
© Copyright 1996-2015, Guttmacher Institute
UNITED STATES (United States figures from:http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html)
- Number of abortions per year: 1.06 Million (2011)
- Number of abortions per day: Approximately 2,904
Who's having abortions (age)?
- Eighteen percent of U.S. women obtaining abortions are teenagers; those aged 15–17 obtain 6% of all abortions, 18–19-year-olds obtain 11%, and teens younger than 15 obtain 0.4%.
- Women in their 20s account for more than half of all abortions: Women aged 20–24 obtain 33% of all abortions, and women aged 25–29 obtain 24%.
Who's having abortions (race)?
- While white women obtain 59% of all abortions, their abortion rate is well below that of minority women. Black women are more than 2 times as likely as white women to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are roughly 1.5 times as likely.
Who's having abortions (marital status)?
- Nearly one-half of women having abortions were living with male partners: Some 15% were married, and an additional 29% had been unmarried but cohabiting with male partners in the month they became pregnant. Fifty-six percent of women had not been living with their partners, and most of these (45% of all women who had abortions) had never been married.
Who's having abortions (religion)?
- Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 28%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 27% of all abortions. 8% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical/Fundamentalist".
Who's having abortions (income)?
- Women with family incomes less than $10,830 obtain 42% of all abortions; Women with family incomes between $10,830 and $21,660 obtain 26.5%; Women with family incomes over $21.660 obtain 34.5%.
Why women have abortions
- The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.
At what gestational ages are abortions performed (2010):
- 33.3% of all abortions occur before the 7th week of pregnancy, 29.8% happen between the 7th & 8th week, 25.7% happen between the 9th and 12th week, 6.2% happen between the 13th & 15th week, 3.6% happen between the 16th & 20th week, and 1.2% of all abortions (12,720/yr.) happen after the 20th week of pregnancy.
- Teens are more likely than older women to delay having an abortion until after 15 weeks of pregnancy, when the medical risks associated with abortion are significantly higher.
Likelihood of abortion:
- An estimated one in three women will have at least 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old. 37% of all abortions are performed on women who have had at least one previous abortion.